Thursday, June 28, 2012

A whole lot of stuff......

Okay. So here is where I try to condense what could legitamately be several blog posts into one. Remember I mentioned that I had bought myself not one but two 1950's electric Singer 99Ks? Well, here they are.....


I am so happy with these purchases! They didn't break the bank. The first one I bought off eBay for the bargain price of $43 dollars, and the second was a steal at $20 from Gumtree! I must admit, I wasn't expecting the second one to even work, however, after a clean and oil, and disassembling then reassembling the tension knob it runs beautifully! I love sewing on these old machines and they can really sew through some tuff stuff!

Exhibit A;
This is the first thing I have sewn on Singer number one. A Tai-Mai style baby sling. At times I had to sew through 8 layers of heavy duty fabric plus wadding and the old girl didn't let me down. (Something I would have never even attempted on my more modern machine). I have been taking Bobby for a walk in it daily and he absolutely LOVES it. So much so that I have to ask my two girls to assist me in getting him into it because he straight away starts dancing the minute I throw him onto my back! (Dancing for him is to rock violently from side to side.)

After the walk!

I am going to have to make another one of these as the design still needs some tweaking. The shoulder straps need to be a lot longer. I can only just tie them up after wrapping them around under his bum. Also I think the whole body part needs to be bigger as he really only just fits it and I would like the straps to come over his shoulders a bit more. Apart from these things, it's a really comfortable way to carry him!

These are the handbags I made for my girls (a while ago now). They were both very happy with them and use them all the time which makes for one happy Mama.


And here are some random school holiday pics -(yes we are on school holidays already! 3 weeks off).

Craft hour ;
Playing 'cubby houses' with big sister. When Ross says "cubby house" he says "buddy hut" - a very cute and appropriate word I think. We have all adopted this word now "let make the teddies a little buddy hut to play in"......


Spaghetti squash from the garden - was turned into a frittata with added tuna and corn. This veg is really quite remarkable!


And lastly, what to do when your garden gives you green tomatoes? Why, tomato curry!!


YUM!!!

3 comments:

  1. Ooh look at those 99Ks! Great work on the baby sling - clearly it's comfy :) And I love the bags for your girls too.
    We start holidays next week but boy the kids are ready for it, all a bit tired and ragged!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My modern machine would never cope with 8 layers of fabric plus wadding. Sometimes you just need a good old sturdy machine. Love the the baby sling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh bless. that pic of bubs sleeping...

    ReplyDelete